Thursday, November 18, 2010

Party on, Garth!

The party in Seattle is back on!!!! Whooo hoooo! After canceling it, I just felt awful. It just didn't feel right, so I texted Bradley that I wanted to make the party back on. He wrote back that he really, really, really didn't want it. I wrote back that I really, really, really did. That night we spoke on the phone. Things got a little heated in that I wanted to do the brunch at the venue with the catering, cupcakes and the whole nine. He wanted nothing at all. However, we reached a compromise - we almost always do - and this is why we are getting married.

His concern with the brunch was that it was going to be way out of our budget and was essentially a 2nd wedding. He felt it was too much to ask people to attend a cruise and a party. When I pointed out that the party would be for people who couldn't make the cruise, he asked me how many weddings I wanted to have to make sure everyone got to celebrate with us. He felt it was over-the-top.

My argument was that people who are important to me wouldn't be able to make the cruise. For instance, my step-sister is getting married in June, so she and her fiance won't be able to afford to join us. My former co-workers (who I love more every day) won't be able to join us and I would like them to be able to celebrate. Besides, having the wedding on a cruise means that I don't get to do the really fun stuff, like decorate a venue or have cute place-settings or anything like that.

What won out was that we had already told people that we were going to throw a party. In our Save-The-Dates, which went out in August, we told people to save a date for a party in Seattle. We have committed ourselves. However, Bradley is right - the brunch is way out of our budget. Hilariously, my maid of honor made an off-hand comment about having a BBQ at a park near our home. I made the same off-hand remark and it is now exactly what we are doing. Congratulations, Jen, on making this decision for us! :) It's a great compromise and I'm super excited about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment